[RE-wrenches] SMA SB-41 without WLAN

Dave Tedeyan dave at sungineersolar.com
Thu Jan 19 07:33:26 PST 2023

Hi Jeremy,

I've seen that whitepaper from SMA about using the USB to power a Vonets
wifi adapter. It does not work well at all. I tried this and it worked
great for about a week. Then one of the two inverters stopped being able to
power the Vonets at all, and the other Vonets device could not stay
connected to the wifi signal. I called tech support and the person I talked
to said not to use the USB for power and didn't even know that the
whitepaper existed. I had already purchased a few of the vonets devices, so
I tried on another site and had similar bad luck. It connected great at
first, and then a week later stopped working. These were both ground
mounts. The first one, the wifi was coming from a wireless radio at the
house, but that was in front of the array. But the second time, there was a
strong wifi signal coming from behind the array, and it still would not
work. At both sites, I ended up installing an outlet in a box and used
this, which has an ethernet port and ran a cable to the inverters:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX2700/dp/B00L0YLRUW/

Cheers,
Dave

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 9:10 AM Mac Lewis via RE-wrenches <

> Hey Jeremy,
>
> However, I have had good success with TP Link Nano Router in Client Mode
> (as opposed to router, repeat, AP and hotspot mode).  Client mode is great
> because it's not re-broadcasting the wireless signal for other devices,
> it's basically just acting as an ethernet port.  They seem to be robust and
> fairly cheap.   I can't speak to using the USB ports to power them (worth a
> try).
>
> Thanks!
>

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 5:47 AM Jeremy Rodriguez via RE-wrenches <
> re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org> wrote:
>
>> Now that there has been some time since the non WLAN units came out, does
>> anyone have recommendations for a good WiFi extender to utilize?
>>
>> Is it OK to use the onboard USB port to power one.   I’ve seen the white
>> paper on this set up but have yet to try it.
>>

>> Jeremy Rodriguez
>> Solar Installation / Design
>> All Solar, Inc.
>> 1453 M St.
>> Penrose Colorado 81240
>>
>> Sent by Jeremy's iPhone. Sorry for typos and shorthand.
>>
>> Pay optional member dues here: http://re-wrenches.org
>>
>> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

>> There are two list archives for searching. When one doesn't work, try the
>> other:
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org/
>>
>> List rules & etiquette:
>> http://www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>
>> Check out or update participant bios:
>> http://www.members.re-wrenches.org
>>

> --
>

> Mac Lewis
>
> *"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> other:
>
> List rules & etiquette:
>
> Check out or update participant bios: