[RE-wrenches] Shipping

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Jan 13 14:22:55 PST 2023

Friends:

A while ago I posted some questions about shipping.  I know this is
tangential to solar installation, but you can’t install what you can’t get.

I got my rail but there were some hiccups.  I thought some of you might
benefit from my experience:

I contracted for the shipping using Shiply.  The vendor sent the wrong
quantity of the wrong rail and it arrived damaged.  I refused the
shipment.  I was also charge for use of a lift gate even though I used my
forklift.

I turns out I was liable for the cost to ship back the wrong, defective
rail.  This was because I contracted the shipment.  Fortunately the vendor
paid for the return and did so promptly.

Here is what I will do next time:

1.   I will always pay for damage insurance.

2.   On the PO I will put a note that the shipper is responsible for paying
for return shipping in the case of incorrect parts or damage that could be
attributed to poor packaging.

3.   Before contracting for the shipping I will insist I have a contact
number for the vendors warehouse foreperson.

4.   I will ask the foreperson to send me photographs of the shipment after
it is packaged.  I want the photos to show the quantity, the part number
label and that the packaging is adequate.

5.   Only after I see all is correct will I approve the pickup.

6.   At the time of delivery, and before the driver leaves, I will
photograph the unloading using my forklift with the delivery truck
in-frame.  I will check carefully for damages.  If there is damage to the
contents I will refuse the shipment.  If there is damage to that packaging
I will photograph that with the truck or driver in frame and note the
damage on the BOL.

I hope none of you ever have this many problems with shipping.

William

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422

805-438-5600