[RE-wrenches] BACKUP system revival

Dana Orzel dana at solarwork.com
Sat Dec 17 08:28:20 PST 2022

Hey All a Cheery Season to you all!

I inherited a backup system that had "failed". It was unwired, & poorly
labeled.

1200 AHR AGM Battery - 1 Radian 8KW inverter - 200 amp Generac transfer
switch - No solar - Feeding a 200 amp house panel.

First I explained the there were too many loads for an 8KW inverter. It
could & may overload the 8KW inverter. They said "it had worked fine for 5
years & they were OK with it as is please get it back up".

Replaced the existing Eaton transfer switch as the Generac controller was
shot, with a Generac 200 amp Xfer switch complete with controller & transfer
switch.

Rewired & had to recharge the 48 volt battery from 20volt back up to full
with a pair of IOTA chargers in series.

The original trigger was 3 wires from the Radian to the 12 volt & AUX output
to the input on the Generac controller. These were disconnected on the
Generac end. So no clue or labeling there.

I called Outback & they called it Redneck engineering & send me a few
articles to read.

Has anyone configured a backup in this manner?

All suggestions appreciated, thanks & wishing you all a safe & sane season!

Dana Orzel                              Great Solar Works, Inc.

C - 208.721.7003                       dana at solarwork.com

Idaho Contractor - # 028765         Idaho PV # 028374

www.greatsolarworks.com <http://www.greatsolarworks.com/>
www.solarwor.com <http://www.solarwor.com>

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"