[RE-wrenches] IQ8 "line noise" issues?

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 10:07:12 PDT 2022

Ferrite beads, cores and rings are NOT all the same. The RFI frequency
ranges they can suppress differ depending on the "mix" of powders used in
their manufacture. I carry a variety of them in my truck, some of each type
(ring, snap on core) and of Mix 31, 65 and 75. And a big cheap pack from
Amazon of unknown mix (even the seller didn't know) which seems to be
somewhere around Mix 43.

It's also important to identify both the source and the victim of the
RFI, as you can select ferrites to suppress either end or both. As in, is
there a noisy appliance in the house (something with a VF drive maybe?)
that's interfering with the microinverters, or are the microinverters
interfering with something in the house?

This document from Palomar Engineers goes into detail about the different
available ferrite mixes. These are ham radio folk, and they are very
helpful with tech support requests in diagnosing and mitigating RFI issues.

https://palomar-engineers.com/ferrite-products/ferrite-cores/ferrite-mix-selection

Dan Fink
Owner, Buckville Energy Consulting LLC
IREC Certified Instructor for PV and Small Wind Installation
NABCEP Certified PV System Inspector
NABCEP PV Associate
d <dan.fink at greendustrialtraining.com>anbob88 at gmail.com
970-672-4342

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 10:00 AM Jason Lord via RE-wrenches <