[RE-wrenches] Sunny Island grid tie battery back and backup stability issues with ABB

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Sep 19 06:53:20 PDT 2017

Thanks for the input. Jerry and Howie, you may be referring to the Sunny
Island's automatic frequency synchronization mode. This allows the Sunny
Island to adjust the frequency to keep clocks accurate. The setting is
250.11 AfraEna and we already have that disabled. My understanding is that
the Sunny Island will boost frequency if it purposely wants to kick the
inverters off if the batteries are full or if the Sunny Island is
overloaded with too much power. In our case, we're just seeing a very
unstable voltage and frequency. I have the service codes for the ABB
inverters and I'm going to test those out today to see if widening the
voltage or frequency parameters make any difference. Regardless, it doesn't
seem like a good idea to leave the system as-is if the voltage and
frequency are not stable.

August