[RE-wrenches] EMP - Faraday Cages

bob at midnitesolar.com bob at midnitesolar.com
Sun Sep 10 14:53:15 PDT 2017

Interesting but scary subject for me !  I hope we don't find out how
well they work !

The MidNite SPDs use MOVs  with a rating of  15 nano-second response time.

This response time is in line for type 2 and 3 EMP events but your
mileage may vary.

Type 1 EMPs (pico-seconds ?) have faster rise and fall times so will
fall outside those specifications but

might help ?  I don't know.   Up here in the pacific northwest, Boeing
actually has an

EMP test facility for military aircraft and equipment...  It is very
expensive to book

time there I am told by my brother Robin, who has submitted equipment to
in a past

life and work-place.

EMPs are kind of like lightning in that the field strength will vary
depending on

distance from and strength of the source as well as how much the wires
connecting your

equipment to the outside world act as antennas....   Like a lightning
strike, results may just be

luck of the draw, especially if it were to be like a direct hit and
short rise/fall times.

I would guess that wire length (resonance) may have a  effect on how
well they act as an antenna for

a given pulse width for lightning or an EMP ?

Faraday cages may not help at all unless they are used for storing spare
equipment and with NO wires

exiting and entering.  Ferrites connected as common mode filtering (all
wires passing through) may

or may not help on external wiring either.

If an EMP does occur, I would replace the SPDs with new ones to be safe
for the next one...

And do not  hesitate to give us a call and tell us how well it worked !
You might need to leave

a message though as we will probably be very busy at that time.

boB, at SPI in Vegas