[RE-wrenches] EMP - Faraday Cages

drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Sat Sep 9 16:22:02 PDT 2017

How about using a solid metal enclosure instead of a mesh? Would that
cover frequency differences?

One thing railroad tracks and telegraph wires have in common is that
they are very long metallic conductors. The charged particles cut
across the conductors for extended distances,  That situation would
be similar with a grid connected inverter.

If the inverter were isolated from the grid, with the breakers turned
off (or removed), maybe that would help, depending on the magnitude of
the pulse.

The electronics would  need to be isolated from the grounded,
conductive cover of the enclosure. The equipment should be isolated by
design with neutral and ground separate.

Would a Midnite surge protector be of any help in an EMP event?

Thanks,

Drake