[RE-wrenches] Outback inverter generator question

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 08:05:49 PDT 2017

For situations like these, unfortunately I've found that it's very handy to
keep a remote each for Outback, Magnum and Conext in the troubleshooting
tool bag. Without a Mate (preferably a Mate 3) you are driving the highway
with a tarp over your windshield, and have to navigate by blinky colored
lights telling you where to exit onto the dirt road.

What blinky light error code is the inverter throwing at him?

I don't understand why clients won't spring for these relatively
inexpensive, essential remotes, but it's the same with battery SOC
monitoring coulomb counters up here off the grid. You just spent $10K on an
offgrid power system, and can't afford a remote (I now call them "inverter
control panels" to clients) or a SOC monitor ("battery control panel")? But
that's how it is, over and over again.

So sorry that you can't get to the site because of the fires, I have been
through that here in Colorado. I'd suggest tinkering with the inverter
charger settings and try lowering the load percentage to the generator, but
without a Mate you can't do that.

I sincerely hope that Tump's suggestion is correct and that your client has
auto-idle turned on with the Honda. My only Honda issue has been the 3kW
"cube" with a magnum inverter, all the 5kW Hondas have been fine with any
inverter brand.

Best regards;

Dan Fink
Professor of Solar Energy Technology, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP Registered Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342