[RE-wrenches] Generator choice for Sunny Island

frenergy frenergy at psln.com
Sun Jul 23 08:08:04 PDT 2017

August,

             Of course the genny itself has its own emission of noise
but the environment its in certainly will affect its overall "annoyance
level".  Backed up to metal container is a negative, I can't tell from
the photo if the Kohler is on the side away from most of the public,
probably don't have to go on, you must have thought of these
things....it could have its own (partial?)enclosure with some sound
deadening qualities.  Hondas are a little quieter but not that much,
hopefully the darn thing doesn't have to come on, eh?

Nice set-up.

Bill

Feather River Solar Electric
Bill Battagin, Owner
4291 Nelson St.
Taylorsville, CA 95983
530.284.7849
CA Lic 874049
www.frenergy.net

On 7/21/2017 11:39 AM, August Goers wrote:
> All,
>
> I thought I'd provide an update on our setup since we've completed the
> install and commissioning. More or less, the installation went well.
> We did have one of the US Battery AGM L16 batteries dead on arrival
> with a bad cell. That bad battery screwed up the state of charge (SOC)
> calculations in the Sunny Island and made the SOC reading jump from ~
> 80% to 19% in just a couple of minutes. It was easy to find the bad
> battery - all the batteries were about 6.5 v with the bad battery
> reading about 4.5 v. We pulled that battery out of the string for
> warranty replacement and are currently running it with seven batteries
> at 42 v nominal. It's cool that the Sunny Island allows for this.
> Other than that, the frequency shift derate between the Sunny Island
> and Sunny Boy is working perfectly and the system has more than enough
> capacity to run the loads during the summer months. I'd say the Kohler
> generator is the nice unit although it is a little loud for this
> application. If I had to do this portable application again, I'd
> probably just go with the Honda 7000.
>
> Thanks for your help! August

---