[RE-wrenches] Emphase and Warranties and Contractor Liability

William Dorsett wmdorsett at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 14 19:25:01 PDT 2017

   The other argument, Tom, is that it is easy for someone like BP to drop one of its many product lines and keep all of its others. With no history, any new hardware will have to generalize on “mean time between failure.” I don’t know what the future holds for Enphase in particular, but someone will move module level power electronics into far more reliability. There are just too many advantages to bypass.

   It’s hard to imagine that LG, Jinko and SolarWorld would choose Enphase for their AC modules, without confidence in their reliability.  Westinghouse was early on in that choice, and Siemens markets rebranded versions up through at least M250 so their electronics have been evaluated by competent engineers. Siemens charges about $10 more/inverter so if you are more comfortable with a Siemens warranty that is maybe worth it. It will be telling if these companies follow beyond into the S and IQ series. I’m not sure that you’d want to trust the first inverter from any manufacturer and it gives me some assurance that Enphase is into its sixth version.  We’ll give IQ’s a trial run before dropping. I think it is a gutsy company which has made a remarkable run at it.

I am disappointed with their going back on their 15 year warranty and the lack of reimbursement that was initially promised.

Bill Dorsett

Manhattan, KS