[RE-wrenches] Sanyo HIT module diode issues

Brian Mehalic brian at solarenergy.org
Thu Jul 6 15:14:21 PDT 2017

Did you use the Diode Test function on the meter?  If the diode is good you
should see around 0.4-0.8 V in the forward bias, and OL in reverse.  If it
is bad (open) you'll get OL in both directions, and if it is shorted closed
you'll get the 0.4-0.8 V reading in both directions.

Shorted closed would be the failure mode that would indicate an
always-closed diode providing a permanent bypass path and thus a drop of
25% of voltage per bad diode (or set of paralleled diodes).  (These have 4
diodes right?).

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ R031508-59
520.204.6639

Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org

SEI Professional Services