[RE-wrenches] Sanyo HIT module diode issues

Taiyoko Sadewic taiyoko at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Jul 6 13:31:36 PDT 2017

Hi Wrenches,
We were installing Sanyo HIT modules back in 2006-2007 and in 2014 we had a
rash of bad Sanyo modules. The modules had distinct voltages below the good
modules ie 50% or 75%.  Sanyo at the time (now Panasonic) indicated that it
was a bad diodes from a lightning strike not covered by warranty.

I finally got around to checking that out. I identified the purportedly bad
diode in one module (four per module) that was performing at 75% and
removed it. The diode appears to be fine using an ohm meter.  Is that a
valid test?

Anyone else have similar findings or experiences with this?  Could
lightning blow apart the tab ribbons inside of the module?

Thanks

--
<http://www.PositiveEnergySolar.com>
Taiyoko Sadewic