[RE-wrenches] 4 Wire Delta

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Jul 6 10:39:35 PDT 2017

Hello Wrenches,

I'm picking this thread back up now that more
information has become available.

What I learned from talking with an AEP engineer
is that the issues with the delta configuration
on local AEP systems is that the transformers are
wye-delta. The AEP system is wye on the utility
side and delta on the load side. Originally it
appeared that the issue was that the customer had
requested 120/240 V loads, so they center tapped
one phase of the 240 V delta 3 phase and grounded
it to create a neutral. Apparently, if they
ground the delta, they won't ground the wye.

According to the engineer I spoke with, the wye
windings, with no ground reference, could be kept
energized indefinitely from inverter backfeed
into the delta side in the event that the utility
lost one phase. I would think the voltage would
go high on the open line and any connected
inverters would shut down from high voltage. This
may not be quick enough to meet UL 1741 requirements.

He said that "all sorts of weird problems" can
occur if both sets of windings are grounded. He
didn't go in to what the problems would be.Does anyone know?

AEP also said that having an ungrounded delta
system, and creating 120 V power through a
transformer would not be acceptable. At that
point, I was told that the utility will not
supply an ungrounded delta system. Problems I can
see with an ungrounded delta include the issue
that a ground fault on one leg would not activate
overcurrent protection. (Maybe they could have a
ground fault alarm system). Another problem is
that a neutral could not be run to the service,
as required by the NEC, since there would be no neutral.

Has anyone backfed a wye-delta transformer? Does
any utility supply an ungrounded delta? What are
the problems with grounding the center point of
the wye and grounding the delta?

Thanks,

Drake

---