[RE-wrenches] AC lock-out

James Jefferson Jarvis jj at aprsworld.com
Tue May 2 09:46:17 PDT 2017

> Rather than trench, you could install a whole house disconnect. I doubt it would ever be opened.

Here in my part of Minnesota the utilities won't allow you to do a whole
premise disconnect. The lockable solar disconnect must serve the solar
only and must be located within 6' of the meter.

So I've had a few occasions where the customer has had to spend
thousands of extra dollars to meet that requirement.

It's a pretty crazy (read: anti-renewables) requirement in this day and age.

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC

> William
>
>> On May 2, 2017, at 7:18 AM, frenergy <frenergy at psln.com> wrote:
>>
>> Especially CA wrenches,
>>
>>            Anybody had any of their GT systems locked-out by their utility with the AC disco?  I'm dealing with a utility that still insists in installing an AC disco no matter what the conditions are and in this very rural area this can mean running an extra line out to the meter/main 100+ ft from the house (distribution panel back at the house).  So backhoe, labor, materials and Oops the backhoe hit a propane line.  Do they actually have a box of hundreds of locks to be able to lock-out PV systems?  I doubt it.  Would appreciate knowing for a discussion with their engineer.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> Feather River Solar Electric
>> Bill Battagin, Owner
>> 4291 Nelson St.