[RE-wrenches] Failed L16 with perfect Sp.Gr.

John Blittersdorf john.blittersdorf at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 13:09:29 PDT 2017

Wallace,
   I installed some Interstate RE batteries (green case) L16's that
supposedly are made by US Battery.  As with Trojan and other High Capacity
L16's I had several cell failures.  I have always felt that gleaning more
amp hours from the same box must lead to cutting corners on robustness.  I
have found that often when the batteries are full, they work OK for awhile
but as the voltage drops and the current flow rises, the cell will
eventually drop out.  Other adjacent batteries in the string often
overcharge to compensate.  In my case with the green batteries, they were
about 2 years old as well.  I took them back to my distributor and replaced
them with standard L16's at a special pro rated price. I have found that
all lead acid batteries that have problems seem to first have a cell
failure somewhere along the line and finally the capacity diminishes to the
point that it is an annoyance.  Seems  bad cells seem more numerous lately.

John Blittersdorf
Rob Stubbins Solar