[RE-wrenches] Failed L16 with perfect Sp.Gr.

Wallace Stahle wstahle at pacific.net
Wed Apr 26 08:54:26 PDT 2017

Hi Folks,

I was called by a customer with the complaint of the MS4024 inverter shut down and ME-ARC controller and Trimetric acting strange, intermittent and even even showing 29 volts at times.

The batteries are four 2.5 year old US battery L16XC 380 AH and checking each battery showed one at 4.8 v under charge while the other three were at 7+ volts and no current.

Meanwhile the specific gravity was high on all cells and even a week after removal are up at 1.275 on all three cells.

I suspect an open in the cell interconnects with enough continuity to read volts but not conduct current.

My question is what have any of you seen n this regard and any knowledge of cause of such a failure.

Your insights and experience are greatly appreciated.

They were installed by others and are out of warranty. I donated a serviceable used USB L16 to get her back to a working system.
She did recall her Ex stating along the lines of "oh this one has a problem but dont worry, it'll come around" as they were installed.

Many thanks,

Wallace Stahle
Future Electric Energy Co
P O Box 236