[RE-wrenches] Net Metering

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Tue Mar 7 10:02:23 PST 2017

Aloha Drake.

Yes, our PUC in its ultimate wisdom, ended our 14-year very successful
(80,000+ customers) NEM program back in October 2015.  That said, a lot of
us are still installing NEM systems since the Hawaiian Electric companies
have been (in my opinion) bending over backward to allow homeowners to get
their conditionally approved NEM systems installed and operational.  But
that's coming to an end in the months to come.

The PUC grandfathered all those NEM systems, so all of us lucky enough to
have NEM golden tickets can still provide surplus PV power back to the grid
and receive full retail credit.

Right now we are the first state in the country (the freakin' bleeding edge)
where new interconnect agreements (customer self supply or self consumption)
do not allow for any export.  Hence the need for batteries.

Hence the dire state of our once thriving PV industry.

marco