[RE-wrenches] SMA Rapid Shutdown issues

AE Solar autonomousenergies at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 12:04:54 PST 2017

I know that when I talked to SMA about our first install with the RSD boxes
they suggested  an order of operations for making all the final connections
that might not be mentioned in the install manual. It wAs supposed to help
prevent some problem they had been having with the boxes (although I'm
unclear what the specifics of the problem was). They mentioned that they
were having people disconnect all the MC connections to the box and re
connect to reset the box if an issue occurred. We never ended up having any
issues so didn't need to go
Through that procedure. Don't know if they mentioned that as an option for
you on your trouble shooting?

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 1:52 PM Laura Conchelos <lauraconchelos at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I wondered if anybody else had run into issues with SMA's rapid shutdown
> box?  We turned on the system about a month ago and seem to have problems
> with the relays in the rapid shutdown not closing periodically.
> Unfortunately it is an intermittent problem so unless we're onsite at the
> right time, there is nothing SMA will do. Two of us have been through
> troubleshooting with them and the system works fine. The client has reset
> the disconnect a couple of times with the key at the controller. One time
> it worked. Another time it did not and the light on the red button stayed
> on.
>
> It seems as though the connection from the array to the inverter will come
> back in the morning even if the disconnect box wasn't allowing it the day
> before. We're guessing a bad relay but haven't been able to prove it so
> far.
>
> Laura Conchelos
> Solar Gain Services
> Monte Vista CO