[RE-wrenches] SMA Rapid Shutdown issues

Laura Conchelos lauraconchelos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 11:52:39 PST 2017

I wondered if anybody else had run into issues with SMA's rapid shutdown
box?  We turned on the system about a month ago and seem to have problems
with the relays in the rapid shutdown not closing periodically.
Unfortunately it is an intermittent problem so unless we're onsite at the
right time, there is nothing SMA will do. Two of us have been through
troubleshooting with them and the system works fine. The client has reset
the disconnect a couple of times with the key at the controller. One time
it worked. Another time it did not and the light on the red button stayed
on.

It seems as though the connection from the array to the inverter will come
back in the morning even if the disconnect box wasn't allowing it the day
before. We're guessing a bad relay but haven't been able to prove it so
far.

Laura Conchelos
Solar Gain Services
Monte Vista CO