[RE-wrenches] Using same PV array for water pump, battery charging

Kirpal Khalsa solarworks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:32:32 PST 2017

Hi Larry. We did this recently.  We settled on a Square D 60A 600VDC
disconnect feeding a Midnite Solar Transfer switch with 60A, 300VDC
breakers.  We put an engraved placard on the transfer switch instructing
the customer to turn off the disconnect first then to operate the transfer
switch and when the transfer either way is completed to turn on the
disconnect again. .  It could have worked without the disconnect but we
felt that it was probably an abundance of caution to operate the transfer
switch with PV disconnected.
Our application was switching from a Grundfos pump in the summer to a
Fronius inverter in fall and the reverse in spring. .  This was a seasonal
transfer instead of daily transfer.  Certainly not automated. But
relatively fool proof and safe.
Good luck.

Sunny Regards,
Kirpal Khalsa