[RE-wrenches] ESS Batteries

Matthew Sirum matthewsirum at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 22:50:13 PST 2017

Greetings Drake,

The answer likely varies widely depending on what he would like to use
these battery systems for.  The gear and design used to play with
these batteries can get rather sophisticated quickly.  A high voltage
DC-DC Converter may be needed.  Bidirectional units exist and can
potentially provide the coupling between the energy storage system(s)
and the DC-AC Inverters we are already familiar with.  A recent
microgrid project I was servicing included a Siemens Sinamics DCP unit
to incorporate the needed bidirectional buck-boost capabilities.
Attached is a PDF spec sheet for this gear to get a sense of what
these components are capable of.

It may be a good idea to see if any information or documentation can
be found for the battery systems and if any details about the function
they previously served can be tracked down.  It may be helpful to
learn how they were used and with what other associated gear etc.

This surplus purchase sounds like the makings of a fun project with
endless possibilities!

Best regards,

----MATT

Matthew Sirum
P.O. Box 1227
Greenfield, MA 01302-1227  USA
phone: +1.413.773.0611
email: MatthewSirum at gmail.com

------ Original Message Below ------

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Sat Feb 11 10:51:47 PST 2017

Hello Wrenches,

A friend just purchased 4 ESS MA 1428K batteries from AEP surplus. He
got them really cheap. They are rated at 26.5 KWh with an operating
voltage of 453 to 706 VDC!

He would like to find a way to use the power from these batteries.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin