[RE-wrenches] Hidden corrosion caused catastrophic battery system failure

Jerry Shafer jerrysgarage01 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 19:39:50 PST 2017

Wrenches
I have been around batteries for many years and I have had poor battery
construction issues and installation issues but in most cases, failures can
be avoided by visual inspections and not the fire and forget that so many
people that think maintenance free means. The trogan pic is a result of a
over heated terminal as the plastic will not corrode but instead melt,
loose connection resulting from improper crimp, gauge of wire, over/under
torg of the terminal being the most common, not crimped is not a common
problem. Over torq of the stud will crack the lead and result in failure
down the road, under torq happens sooner and may just cause an open in the
circuit or god forbid a spark, both are installer issues not battery
manufactures. Over-filling of batteries attempting to reduce service
intervals is another common issue on flooded batteries and will boil over
of acid all over and a diluted SG both reducing the life of the battery
again not a manufacturing issue. Something that is commonly missed, is all
the cable must be at rest when installed and not under a sprung load, this
will prevent terminal moving as result, again causing a failure and
possible spark under the right conditions. Something that l did that I
think increased the life of my batteries was to rotate position in the 48
volt arrays. I did large scale events off grid and had individual volt
meters on each battery and at times there was an imbalance which rotating
corrected. because of the nature of what I did l would push the 48 volt
system to 38 volts before the LVD would shut me down (Gennys were in most
cases not wanted due to the smell and noise). Even with the hard cycling
along with being mobile, I would see 6 to 7 years out of my 8-D's and
L-16's.
FYI,  for who ever services FLA batteries get a one gallon weed sprayer,
label it for distilled water only, cut the nozzle tip off and you have a
easy watering system for your batteries.
Jerry