[RE-wrenches] Hidden corrosion caused catastrophic battery system failure

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Jan 21 17:29:54 PST 2017

When I'm evaluating an old system, one thing I do is really yank on all
the battery connections.  If it turns, tighten it down, and in several
cases, the cable just pulls loose from the connector.  They are time
consuming to do right.  Cable has to be stripped long enough, the
crimper needs to be set correctly, and be the right crimper for the
particular lug.
Below is an example of:
the wrong cable (THHN, not X Flex)
Not enough cable stripped
Wrong Size Lug
Not Crimped Properly
Not Vaselined

Now let's put 150 amps continuous through that garbage and see if we
have some long term issues......

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Licensed Master Electrician