[RE-wrenches] Replacement for the Shurflo 9325 pump....

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Mon Jan 16 18:21:45 PST 2017

John / Jay … WOW did I get MY names crossed!

Jay was recommending Sunpumps because they make a superior diaphragm pump that is superior to Shurflo.

I read it wrong / I thought he was referring you to SunRotor, not Sunpumps!! SunRotor is Solar Power & Pump Co. THEY have the helical rotor pumps I like to rave about.

Forgive my Sun-name confusion. Sunpumps is top-line diaphragm pump and SunRotor (or other helical rotor pumps) are more in the direction of the 21st century. HR pumps all have brushless motors (liquid filled) which always require a different controller than brush motors (diaphragm pumps)

:-?    Windy

Hi John / and Jay

Jay is correct to recommend that you consider Sunpumps or something like that. To be more specific, Sunpumps has a line called SunRotor www.sunrotor.com <http://www.sunrotor.com/>.  Along with Lorentz HR and Grundfos SQF, these are HELICAL ROTOR (progressive cavity) pumps. Eventually, I believe they will send Shurflo and other diaphragm pumps packing to the scrap heap. They have one moving part / brushless motor / easy to service and in general, far greater life expectancy without any demand for preventive maintenance like diaphragm pumps. Pump rotor and stator will last many years if water is generally clean.

I’m including much about this in my upcoming book, so I’m pretty up to date.

Lorentz and Grundfos are oversized when looking for replacement for Shurflo, and they run 48V nominal and up. (Shurflo is 24V) SunRotor has a niche in the low power end, starting at 24V. You may find something compatible or easy to adapt to the existing system.

Several Chinese companies are producing helical rotor (HR) subs, so you may find something if you search. When I search I get Alibaba pages, from which you can order (like Amazon), but they don’t give complete specs. They even get terminology mixed up and who-knows what else. But from there, you can search the manufacturers directly by name and make direct contact. OR You may find someone in your quarter of the planet who distributes them, which is ideal.

At least SOME of those Chinese pumps are good. I can’t say which.

Hope this helps.
Windy Dankoff // Co-author, upcoming book: Solar Water Pumping (Taylor & Francis, London)