[RE-wrenches] Solar World Wind Damage

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Jan 12 18:39:30 PST 2017

Yep, the old modules were heavier, had a thicker frame, and most
importantly: much less total surface area.   The old 75 w modules were
less than 7 sq ft, compared to almost 18 sq ft of a new 60 cell module.
2-1/2 times the forces on even thinner metal.
Not that I want to go back to the good ol' days, but I think the
industry got a little too thin on the frame, or at the least, we need a
beefier hardware solution for bottom mounted arrays on open frames in
high wind locations.  I'll send a pic of our fix, once we try it.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician