[RE-wrenches] Solar World Wind Damage

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Jan 11 10:26:02 PST 2017

Bill;

Great point,  I have had the exact same trouble not being able to torque
that center bolt down.  I went back on a DP&W rack that was rocking E-W
as you described, and brought a big socket (1-1/16"?) and my new
Milwaukee 1/2" impact driver.  It only took a 1/4 turn more, but what a
difference: completely tight.  I don't know what the torque spec on that
bolt is, but its obviously more than I can do with regular wrenches. My
Pocket Ref shows 257 ft-lbs for a 3/4" bolt.  I'm suspecting that might
be part of the trouble on the rack that I just reported module failure
on.  If that rack can start rocking back and forth in high wind, it can
really cause damage.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,