[RE-wrenches] Outback inverter generator question

Ron Young solareagle at solareagle.com
Sat Aug 12 17:32:20 PDT 2017

Have a client where I recently installed an Outback VFX3524 inverter in June. He’s using a Honda generator and has recently started having issues. He has been complaining that the inverter seems to be running hot but I believe this is because he doesn’t have good ventilation around it. He is probably also running high on the loads. He doesn’t have a Mate so can’t identify the error. He is in a remote location and I am currently unable to travel due to fire restrictions in my area (major BC wildfires).

Here is his recent email:
-Seems the inverter is recognizing the power in as an issue, and throwing an error.
-My existing 5000 Honda generator has been online with the unit since you installed it.
-The last few days, when there is very little load, or the unit goes to float, the generator goes into a high rpm.
-My existing 5000 Honda crapped out on me this morning, and holds a low rpm, not putting out much power.  Will run a tool, but still won’t hold a higher rpm.
-I borrowed an identical 5000 Honda generator, and it seemed to be doing fine for about 1.5 hours.
-Now it’s doing the same thing as the other generator.  The inverter system throws an error, the generator is taken offline, and the generator rpm go up.
-If I manually manipulate the throttle not he generator lower, then the inverter re-engages.

What the heck could this be?  I don’t want to fry the borrowed generator, but we can’t systematically bypass the inverter, and the house requires the power.

Ron Young
earthRight - Solareagle