[RE-wrenches] Well pump grounding question

Rebekah Hren rebekah.hren at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 16:09:41 PDT 2017

Hey everyone,
I'm replacing my old DC 24V shurflo well pump with a new Grundfos 15
SQ05-110. It's the 120V AC model.

Question: The Shurflo required 2 wire cable with no ground, the Grundfos
has black/white/green.

Can anyone think of a good reason why I should replace 100' of expensive
submersible flat jacketed pump cable to swap out for wire with an EGC
running to the pump? The well casing is grounded and from the well casing
to the supply breaker there is an EGC.

I'm struggling to think of a good reason why I should replace the wire,
(besides of course something in the NEC like 110.3(B)! There's no shock
hazard that I can really figure out - if the pump itself were to have a
ground fault, the metal well casing would be a fault current path of way
less resistance than anywhere else the water might happen to flow (plastic
pipe)?

I've heard some stories on the internet about how ungrounded well pumps
shocked people when they were pulled up for servicing and testing,
but...that sounds more like a Darwin award candidate than a real safety
hazard.

Well, curious to hear opinions on this.
Thanks,
Rebekah

--
Tel: 336.266.8800
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ 091209-85