[RE-wrenches] NEC 2014 In California - 690.47(D)

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Sat Feb 11 10:41:41 PST 2017

A follow up on my most recent inspection. I was worried about the AHJ
requiring the extra ground rod just below the array.

I didn't install the ground rod ahead of the the inspection and expected
to argue against it, trying for Exception2.

I got signed off without having to install it.

Basically, the AHJ said that he was so overwhelmed by all the new
requirements in 2014 that he was really not ready to enforce all of
them, especially 690.47(D) which seemed to make no sense to him.

Well, that was way experience. I imagine that there must be some tension
between the plan checker (who went out of his way to site and circle a
call out to 690.47(D) on my plan set) and the inspectors who signed the
permit card.

Mark