[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Demand Charges and Time of Day Charges

Tom Lane tom at ecs-solar.com
Sat Jan 28 06:09:00 PST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tom Lane <tom at ecs-solar.com>
Date: Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 7:40 AM
Subject: Demand Charges and Time of Day Charges
To: <re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>

The Demand charge I am familiar with is the Duke Energy's demand charge
based on the highest 15 minutes recorded in the monthly cycle . I do not
know about FP&L 'S I have heard that utilities in Florida are going to
start using Demand  Charges like this AND /OR Time of Day on residential
customers ! .Also if a customer ( typically one who uses an instaneous
electric water heater I.e. 11,000 watts ) blows the transformer THE
CUSTOMER pays for the transformer upgrade in all cases by all utilities .
FP&L , Duke , and the large utilies in Florida hate residential and
commercial solar AND look ALSO  for any way to gouge their customers . Any
advice on how to overcome Demand  Charges and time of day Charges CHEAPLY
like the use of timers and or other strategies is important . Sizing adice
on batteries and inverters also . Thanks . Gator Tom