[RE-wrenches] Solar World Wind Damage

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Jan 10 14:30:43 PST 2017

Greetings All;

I just had the dreaded call from one of my higher profile commercial
clients: a remote radio repeater station had modules ripped off the
frame by high winds.
Two  SW285s were damaged.  The wind was strong enough to rip right
through the aluminum side rails.  We had used the proper stainless 1/4"
bolt hardware with washers on the inside, etc.  All the hardware was
still tight, it just tore the aluminum past the washers.  This is not a
top down clamp system, but uses bolts through the mounting holes on the
back of the module.  This was all on a DP&W rack with high wind option.
In 20 years in business, I've never seen that happen.  Is there a
contact at Solar World?  I'm not getting through on the tech support
line I have.
First, I need to know what the wind rating is on the modules blowing
from the back side, and
Second, a suggested fix for the remaining modules.
One module was completely ripped from the frame and thrown 30 yds (total
destruction), a 2nd one has cracks in the Aluminum, but has not let go
yet.  I was thinking of adding some angle aluminum on the inside to beef
it up.  IMHO, the frames are pretty thin aluminum compared to older
modules.  I'll share some pics when available.

As always thanks in advance for your comments,

--
R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc