[RE-wrenches] Retrofit variable speed drive to old well pump? // Franklin products

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Thu Dec 15 09:05:08 PST 2016

Dan,

Something else I want to add - since your customer has difficult access for a service truck, consider if it’s feasible to pull and replace the pump by hand. I had a 1/2 HP AC pump on almost 200 feet of 1” PVC drop pipe. It took all strong hands on deck (two decks, if you count down in the pit and above, ground level). With 4 people, we pulled it by hand, grunting for sure. PVC schedule 80 can be flexed enough to pull it as one long tube.

Putting new pump in is much easier - air in pipe is lighter than water.

I don’ know how deep yours is set, but if it’s a 2-wire, it can’t be much deeper than that.

Windy