[RE-wrenches] sma -40 monitoring and tech support

Dave Tedeyan dtedeyan at taitem.com
Thu Dec 15 04:53:19 PST 2016

I have spent hours on the phone with tech support about this issue.
I was a little fuzzy on the reason for all the communications issues,
but it might have been something about there being a windows system
update that was causing it. They have been working on new firmware
for the -40's and the -22's to fix it.

On the -40's some inverters screen will lock up entirely needing a trip
out to site to install new firmware. Some others will just not update the
graphs correctly. On the -22's, I am seeing many sites where the inverter
(or one of the inverters on site) will not update the graphs at all, even
though on the main page it will show the current power.

I was told that they would push the new beta firmware (2.02.12 for the
-40's and 2.65.03 for the -22's) onto the sites that I was having issues
with. This was about a month ago, and it still has not happened... They
also said that the new -40 firmware was going to be pushed globally, but
that still has not happened either.

At least SMA knows of the issue and it is on their end, not the customers
end. Unfortunately that does not look particularly good for us installers,
but there is not a whole lot you can do about it, other than visit each
site
and manually update the firmware. I have not yet done this, so I cannot
verify whether it is actually fixing the problem or not.

It would be nice if SMA (and other manufacturers) would publish a list of
known issues like this somewhere on their website so that we can check
it before we all waste hours on the phone with tech support and on site
tracking down issues that simply cannot be fixed by us.

Cheers,
Dave

*--*

*Dave Tedeyan*