[RE-wrenches] sma -40 monitoring and tech support

Peter Giroux pgiroux at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 14 12:23:32 PST 2016

Kirpal

  So glad to see you are not sugar coating it. New tech always means new challenges. There is always Fr-----.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kirpal Khalsa
  To: RE-wrenches
  Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:17 PM
  Subject: [RE-wrenches] sma -40 monitoring and tech support

  Friends!
  We have been installing  the SMA-40 inverters lately. We like the physical layout of the inverters.  They have built in wifi capabilities. On paper this sounds good.  In practice this part of the inverters have been working like crap.  We have multiple sites that are experiencing on going connectivity issues even with excellent wifi signals.
  We have upgraded to the latest firmware 3 times in the last 3 weeks for inverters manufactured in late October.  Clearly they see they have issues, due to the frequency of firmware updates.  Even the latest firmware is proving useless.  Anyone else having trouble with these inverters?  We feel like we are their experimentation lab and doing their R&D on our dime.  Their tech support is minimum an hour wait on hold.  We have spent more time trying to resolve the communications issues than the actual installation of the whole solar system took, not just the inverters.  In fact I am typing this email as I am on hold.
  Any one else having issues with this part of the inverters?  Advice on how to deal with SMA or resolve the issues with out resorting to their useless tech support?
  Thanks!

  Sunny Regards,
  Kirpal Khalsa
  Oregon LRT#25