[RE-wrenches] Whole house energy moniters

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:04:29 PST 2016

Whisker Labs <https://www.whiskerlabs.com/solutions.html> just announced a
product that monitors individual loads / sources through digital
disaggregation (like Sense) but using a sensor that adheres to the main
panel, eliminating the need to remove the deadfront to attached CTs.
Pretty crazy.  Connectivity is through the existing network.

Other CT-based options beyond what's been mentioned include neurio
<http://neur.io/> (existing network), the Locus LGate 101e
<http://locusenergy.com/solutions/residential> (cellular or existing
network), TED <http://www.theenergydetective.com/prohome> (existing
network), and the Enphase Envoy-S
<https://enphase.com/en-us/blog/enphase-brings-intelligent-control-energy-management-new-envoy-s>
(which can monitor non-enphase systems and is cellular).

There's another product just now coming to the US from Australia called
CarbonTrack <http://www.carbontrack.com.au/> (cellular).  Whole home + PV
energy monitoring (CTs), zigbee / z-wave 2-way communications with
smarthome devices, communicates with energy storage... basically an
energy-focused smarthome hub.  Lots going on in this space!

- Andrew

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough