[RE-wrenches] Backsheet failure

frenergy frenergy at psln.com
Thu Sep 29 20:53:31 PDT 2016

Hey folks,

             At 2 top-of-pole ~10 year old installations (each
installation has 2 X 12 PVs)  with Mitsubishi MF-PV170EB3 PVs I have
found now several ( ~7) backsheets that have bubbled and a couple have
actually ruptured.  The bubbles are only about 3/8" x 3/4" in size,
average.  Through the glass, I can see a little browning on some of
them.  At one installation I took Voc, Vmpp, Impp of each string and
voltages were very close but Impp on one string was .5 amp different
string to string at same installation.

             I have contacted Mitsubishi  and Jim says he has never seen
this before, thus my inquiry to this list.  I just happen to have the
ONLY 7, Mitsu PVs that have ever done this? Despite this, he has sent me
the warranty claim form.  Check out the pic.  This inspection was
requested because output of these two systems seems about 30% low after
accounting for age, dust, sun angle,temp, etc.

If there are any other cases like this that may be out there, I'd
appreciate knowing about it.

Bill

Feather River Solar Electric
Bill Battagin, Owner