[RE-wrenches] Real info for voltage

Allan Sindelar allan at sindelarsolar.com
Sun Sep 25 22:15:08 PDT 2016

Bill,
A true RMS meter shouldn't be necessary with a gennie in most cases, as
the gennie is a rotating source, so the waveform is naturally true sine,
or close. The true-RMS meter is more important with mod-square
inverters, as cheap DMMs estimate RMS voltage as a proportion to peak
voltage, and a mod-square inverter won't create the 164V waveform peak
voltage necessary to read 117V by direct conversion.

There's an exception here, though, that may be in play. What's your
elevation? Drawing off of one AC output leg on that Onan will give you
at most 2000 watts, and that's reduced by (rule of thumb here) 3.5% per
1000 feet above sea level. So if you're pulling 1.7 KW on that leg,
whether or not the other house is also drawing, you may be overloading
the Onan enough to pull down the voltage waveform peak voltage.

First, yes, try measuring with a true-RMS meter, as a
process-of-elimination troubleshooting initial step. Then try reducing
the VFX3648's input current and observing how the voltage changes.
Third, add a PSX240 or equivalent to allow both gennie legs to feed the
inverter.

I haven't run voltage drop calcs in making these recommendations, but I
don't think that the #10 wire is the source of the troubles.
Allan

*Allan Sindelar*
allan at sindelarsolar.com <mailto:allan at sindelarsolar.com>
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Founder (Retired), Positive Energy, Inc.
*505 780-2738 cell*

**