[RE-wrenches] Back-up generator/inverter shut-down relay

Benn Kilburn benn at skyfireenergy.com
Thu Sep 15 12:50:22 PDT 2016

A couple of wrenches have suggested the Generac SMM (link in email below) but a call to generac resulted in them saying they only test it with their own generators and cannot say if it will work properly and will not offer support if connected with generators other than Generac.

Have any of you used this SMM with success with gens other than Generac?

And to answer a few other suggestions ...the reason we need something like this is the layout of all the electrical equipment.
At the end of the driveway is the pole with the transformer and meter/splitter combo.
15' away is the shed housing the generator and ATS. Then there is the underground feed to the house which if trenched would be about 350' to the house where the main panelboard is located along with the 2 SolarEdge inverters and the PV system.
So we cannot reasonably interconnect btwn the ATS and the meter, hence the need for a way to shut down the inverters when the generator is running.

The SMM that was suggested sounds great, but I don't want our client to be a guinea pig to see if it will work properly with a non-Generac generator.

Thanks,

Benn Kilburn
SkyFire Energy Inc.
780-906-7807