[RE-wrenches] Wire nuts

Shasta Daiku mjmorningstar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 22:04:12 PDT 2016

Rooftop/Combiner splicing is a perfect application for the use of splice capped crimp sleeves. The other is where splices are subject to vibration. Their usage seems to vary throughout the country. In NW Oregon, where I came up in the trade, it was protocol to use them in places like rooftop condenser units (intense ambient heat in the summer, extreme humidity, and vibration), packed with a bit of duct seal. Here in California, I never see them used.

It will be thirty years ago, this coming week, when the instructor that taught the first class of my apprenticeship pulled out a bag of wire nuts and said “Your’e going to twist tens of thousands of these during your career, and that's tens of thousands of opportunities to burn a place down” He also said that he considered wire nuts to be one of the more dangerous things sold in hardware stores. It was really driven home, the importance of making every mundane and tedious splice as if someones life depended on it. At the time, it seemed a bit ridiculous how much time was spent going over the finer points of wire nut splicing in school, or having journeymen doing periodic spot checks and opening up boxes to inspect make up and splicing throughout
the first year.

Michael