[RE-wrenches] Getting ready for 2014 NEC rapid shut down with string inverters

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Mon Aug 29 12:42:51 PDT 2016

Hi Wrenches,

I’m preparing for 2014 NEC 690.12 Rapid Shutdown to hit in California
January 2017. Specifically, I’m trying to determine what to do for new
string inverter based installations. I’m assuming that microinverter, AC
modules, and systems with power-level electronics (SolarEdge etc) are
innately compliant.

I spent a while researching SMA’s rapid shutdown system. It appears that we
need five 16 or 18 AWG conductors for the control circuit. Any
recommendations on what type of wire to use assuming we run it in our EMT
run down from the roof to inverter? Tray Cable might work?

Best,

August

August Goers

Luminalt Energy Corporation