[RE-wrenches] Buck-Boost transformer to mitigate high voltage drop?

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Aug 16 10:59:30 PDT 2016

Chris:

If you do provide transformers I think they are called step-up/step down.
Buck/boost transformers I believe are to make adjustments to voltages.

I have learned that you need to account for the current flow and
direction.  For one-way flow, the upstream transformer has a slightly
different turns ratio than the downstream transformer to account for
voltage drop.  With two-way current flow, you might want to consult an
engineer (application or electrical) to determine the best, most efficient
transformer pair.  You can incur a lot of losses with transformers so
design is critical.

One other complication can occur:  In-rush currents can cause nuisance
beaker tripping.  You may need to buy a breaker with higher AIC rating to
compensate for this.

Also, I bought a transformer from a reputable manufacturer that had
mis-labeled terminals.  The smell was hard to forget.  I suggest you
ohm-out any transformer to identify terminals on the same and different
windings.

In general, this kind of project can have some unforeseen complications.  I
am not that experienced, but the experience I do have has come at some
cost.  I hope to help you and fellow wrenches avoid some of that pain.

Sincerely,

William Miller

[image: Gradient Cap_mini]
Lic 773985