[RE-wrenches] Buck-Boost transformer to mitigate high voltage drop?

Chris Schaefer chris at solarandwindfx.com
Tue Aug 16 10:53:38 PDT 2016

Perhaps I missed it but you didn't say what you measured the voltage to be
at the clients service entrance panel at his house?

Christopher

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Mac Lewis <maclewis1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, what current did you use to calculate that voltage drop? How big is
> the PV system?
>
> On Aug 16, 2016 11:38 AM, "Chris Mason" <cometenergysystems at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> How much of the power produced will be self-consumed, how much will be
>> exported?
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Howard Arey <scot.arey at solarcentex.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Good day,
>>>

>>> I have a potential client that has an existing 1,000 foot run from the
>>> meter and transformer at the street to the home. This is 4/0 Al and quick
>>> calcs show the voltage drop at over 12%. He acknowledges that the wire is
>>> undersized to keep voltage at/about 240 volts (I have not measured directly
>>> at the street / transformer yet).
>>>

>>> I know the wire has the necessary ampacity to carry his current service
>>> needs and to carry amps from the to-be-suggested solar system.
>>>

>>> My concern is that the voltage drop will change the 240 volts at the
>>> street/transformer/meter to 211ish (or will I see a higher 268’sh voltage
>>> at the far house end?) at the house. The inverter will try to synch to this
>>> voltage but of course this is outside of typical inverter parameters.
>>>

>>> So, instead of re-running much large wire, does anybody have experience
>>> and comments about potentially using a buck-boots transformer at the home
>>> to get us back to 240 volts? This would need to be service entrance sized.
>>>

>>> *Howard “Scot” Arey*
>>>
>>> Owner, Solar CenTex
>>>
>>> 254-300-1228
>>>
>>> scot.arey at solarcentex.com

>>> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>>>
>>> Change listserver email address & settings:

>>> -wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org/maillist.html
>>>
>>> List rules & etiquette:
>>> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>>
>>> Check out or update participant bios:
>>> www.members.re-wrenches.org
>>>

>> --
>> Chris Mason
>> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
>> Solar Design Engineer
>> Generac Generators Industrial technician
>>
>> www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
>> 264.235.5670
>> 869.662.5670
>> Skype: netconcepts

>> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

>> -wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org/maillist.html
>>
>> List rules & etiquette:
>> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>
>> Check out or update participant bios:
>> www.members.re-wrenches.org

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Schaefer’s
<http:www.solarandwindfx.com>

*Tel/Fax 585-229-2083 or Cell 585-748-1870 *
*5115 South Hill Road ~ Canandaigua New York 14424**www.solarandwindfx.com
<http://www.solarandwindfx.com> ~ E-mail: chris at solarandwindfx.com
<chris at solarandwindfx.com>*

Thomas Jefferson, the author of our great Constitution, once said,
"democracy" will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not."