[RE-wrenches] Bypassing a broken PV module

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 13:14:02 PDT 2016

Why don't you bypass it but leave it in place?

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 7:26 AM, Jason Szumlanski <
jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com> wrote:

> I came across shattered glass on an Evergreen PV module while doing a new
> homeowner system evaluation. My inclination is to remove the panel and
> bypass it, which would still leave the array well within the operating
> parameters for the inverter. However, the owner wants to just leave the
> panel physically in the array because it actually looks better that way,
> which I agree it does. You can hardly tell it's broken from ground level.
>
> I explained that there is a risk of a ground fault if the module is left
> physically in the array, but the owner who is pretty astute, mentioned that
> the fault voltage if a ground fault were to occur from that module would
> only be at 22.5V potential (he didn't mention the actual voltage, but he
> did correctly state that the maximum fault would be limited to the single
> module, which in this case is 22.5V @ 12A). While it may trip an inverter,
> it would probably not pose a safety risk.
>
> While he may be technically right, for now I have reused to do the work,
> but I told him I would think about it.
>
> Anyone been through this scenario?
>
> ​Jason Szumlanski

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts