[RE-wrenches] PV output but no power

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 13:50:45 PDT 2016

Have you tried shorting the strings individually?
Otherwise short each module individually and record the current.

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 4:50 PM, frenergy <frenergy at psln.com> wrote:

> I just came upon a small off-grid system: 12 volt, 4, Kyo 120's (I,mppt=
> 7.1A; Voc = 21.7 or so), Trace C40 with display, etc.   The combiner has
> fuses for each PV/landing.  At noon, output of the array is 10.5 amps.
> Clamping the 4 pvs I get 5.5 amps on 2 PVs and 0.0 on 2 others.  I
> disconnect leads from terminals in PV j-box of the 'dead' PVs and I get
> Voc=18.5 (pretty hot day) and Isc= 6 amps. However when I reconnect these
> same PVs to the combiner there is no change in combined amps.  Fronts and
> backs of PVs look good, no burns, browns, bubbles in backsheet, under the
> glass looks fine, its all good.  Inside the J-boxes look perfect/new.
> Ideas?
> Thx,
> Bill
>
> Feather River Solar Electric
> Bill Battagin, Owner
> 4291 Nelson St.
> Taylorsville, CA 95983
> 530.284.7849
> CA Lic 874049
> www.frenergy.net

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts