[RE-wrenches] Sonnen Battery & Outback Radian Inverter

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 04:48:36 PDT 2016

Here's the internals of the one we installed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0ie2tuqe7y1x9d/2016-06-15%2011.01.43.jpg?dl=0
It's a Radian, the batteries are Sony, there's a PLC in the door
controlling everything, and a Vera Z-Wave controller for the programmable
outlets.
The BMS is on the door, connected by the long cable you see at the bottom.
It's not really long enough, which I complained about.
The transfer switch is a Generac component, very reliable unit, rated at
200A.
There is a DIN rail next to the inverter that holds all the internal
wiring, metering, external connections.
One thing I would advocate, never try to make any connections with this
unit powered up. It is very tight in there and the risk of touching a live
terminal is high.
There is a 200A main breaker and a battery breaker, which is software
controlled for powering down from the front panel. Startup requires holding
in a DC breaker for the electronics for a few seconds then engaging the
main battery breaker. The instructions says five seconds but I find it
takes about 15.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 9:54 PM, Gary Willett <Gary at icarussolarservices.com>
wrote:

> Enclosed is a photo of what appears to be a test/lab Sonnen system
> published in the 01/30/2016 edition of "Power Magazine.
>
> Can plainly see the 8kW Outback Radian inverter and I assume four 12V
> Sonnen (Sony?) 8kWh Lithium-Ion batteries. Assume this is a "standard" 48V
> Radian inverter.
>

> http://www.powermag.com/german-battery-firm-sonnen-moves-into-u-s-home-solar-storage-market/
>
> Regards,
>
> Gary Willett
>
> Icarus Engineering LLC
>

> On 6/17/16 2:09 PM, Chris Mason wrote:
>
> Yes, correct on both. The generator support is there, I did not use it.
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Carl Adams <swingjunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Chris,
>>
>> Nice finish on the Sonnen install.  It looks fabulous.  My understanding
>> is the Eco 2-8 integrate the 4kW radian, and the 10-16 incorporates the 8kW
>> radian.  I assume generator support is fully supported
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Chris Mason <
>> <cometenergysystems at gmail.com>cometenergysystems at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I promised a picture of the Sonnen installation. As these units are
>>> getting close to being appliances in the same vein as home audio, we wanted
>>> to have a clean finish so we made some mill work to complete the top of the
>>> unit to the ceiling and hide the ugly conduits.
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlh0uumlgf5549g/2016-06-15%2011.00.44-1.jpg?dl=0

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts