[RE-wrenches] getting PV modules up to the roof

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri Jun 3 08:07:05 PDT 2016

Dana,

We still aren’t using the portable lifts. I’ve spoken with a few people
from other companies who have the lifts and they said that most of the time
they just sit in the warehouse. Certainly they are helpful for particularly
tough jobs.

Our crews are using glass suction cups to hoist panels up with ropes or
sometimes sling them over their shoulders.  We have several of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-Powr-Grip-Vacuum-Metal-Handle/dp/B000KWTXZ6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

We learned this trick from one of our installers who previously worked
installing big glass windows on high rises. They provide a very convenient
and sturdy handle to hold modules.

We also have one of the ladder hoists similar to the one shown in Homepower:

http://www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/design-installation/pv-module-lift

-August