[RE-wrenches] Roof harness

Garrison Riegel Garrison at solarserviceinc.com
Wed Jun 1 06:30:00 PDT 2016

Dan (or others),

Will you please elaborate on the statement, “There are many options for more comfortable hands-free, tool-use positioning on tricky roofs…”?

We have the same issue as Rebecca, where we have not found a comfortable and cost effective method to deploy fall protection on roofs too steep to walk.  On 33°+ roofs we are currently using a retractable to the rear D-ring and a rope for positioning to the front waist D-rings.  There are a few issues with this method, but it is the only one our local OSHA compliance officer will agree is acceptable when using the front D-ring for positioning on a steep roof.

Any better ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rebecca, to answer your specific question, we use the Guardian Edge Tower harness which has a saddle with front D-rings for positioning.  It’s very comfortable and breaths better than the comparable Sala Exofit.

Thanks,

Garrison Riegel
Solar Service Inc.