[RE-wrenches] Radian GSLC

Chris Schaefer chris at solarandwindfx.com
Fri May 13 08:14:14 PDT 2016

BTW, the ROCB also uses both of your AUX relay options. Got called in to
evaluate a 6 Radian AC Coupled configuration with no charger controllers
and 6 Fronuis. What a cluster *%#%(^. The project was a very bad design
from the beginning. That's what happens when you ask a grid tied installer
to give you a battery back up solution.

Christopher

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Drake <
drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org> wrote:

> William and Wrenches,
>
> The lack of room in the GSLC becomes much worse when using the factory
> installed AC coupling "solution" using the Remote Operated Circuit Breaker
> or ROCB. This takes up 3 breaker spaces plus puts two relays under the
> breaker column. I had to change out the ROCB twice in the one system I
> installed.
>
> The ROCB "solution" takes AC coupling, which is essentially straight
> forward and complicates it exponentially. Plus the ROCB itself is prone to
> failure, which could ruin a set of batteries. There are numerous other
> *serious* problems with their approach. With "solutions" like this one,
> who needs problems!
>
> Drake
>
> At 02:52 PM 5/12/2016, you wrote:
>
> Wrenches:
> The recent topic about bypass connections for the Radian is a very
> pertinent issue for anyone designing a Radian system.  The problem is
> exacerbated by what I perceive is one poor design aspect of the GSLC
> cabinet.Â
> I generally like the Radian series, including the GSLC.  I do find it
> puzzling that installers are expected to make connections to the rear of
> panel mount circuit breakers.  This has to be done blind and in very tight
> quarters.  This is further complicated by the expectation that one will
> install AC *and* DC circuit breakers in the same panel.
> We have tried leaving slack on the leads so the panel can be rotated, but
> that leaves more lead length than the cabinet will handle.Â
> Our solution is to move all AC breakers out of the GSLC and into adjacent,
> off-the-shelf load centers.Â
> We put the minimum PV breakers in the panel, located at the top for
> maximum latitude on tilting the panel out for access.  We also pre-install
> the breakers in the panel in a bench vise with extra lead length and
> install the panel as a unit, hopefully never requiring access to the rear
> again.
> I applaud the GSLC as a decent product, but it does need improvement in
> this area.
> Sincerely,
> William Miller
> [image: Gradient Cap_mini]
> Lic 773985
> millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>
> 805-438-5600

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Schaefer’s
<http:www.solarandwindfx.com>

*Tel/Fax 585-229-2083 or Cell 585-748-1870 *
*5115 South Hill Road ~ Canandaigua New York 14424**www.solarandwindfx.com
<http://www.solarandwindfx.com> ~ E-mail: chris at solarandwindfx.com
<chris at solarandwindfx.com>*

Thomas Jefferson, the author of our great Constitution, once said,
"democracy" will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not."