[RE-wrenches] Off-grid generator update?

Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu May 5 10:34:06 PDT 2016

Aurora generators can be used in all off grid applications with full warranty.

http://www.auroragenerators.com/generators

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems

On May 5, 2016, at 8:11 AM, Luke Christy <sgsrenewables at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Wrenches,
I have been following this thread with interest ever since Lena started it a few days ago.
I don't have a whole lot to add but I thought I would chime in.

I struggle with the same issues I've heard from others on the list of needing  good quality, smaller (8-15kW) generator options for off-grid. My interpretation of the consensus is that there is a lot of stuff available in the higher dollar, commercial category, but for smaller gensets the options still seem limited and somewhat unsatisfactory. I have been using Generac EcoGen units for the last 5 years, and they have been generally ok, though in my opinion the quality is not there. In addition, when I finally had a major failure on a unit that required warranty service, the process of getting help from Generac with that was a nightmare. If not for the generous help of several folks on this list, it would have been even worse. As Allan pointed out upthread, Generac is simply not set up to deal with the needs of Wrenches who support off-grid installations. This is especially true for remote locations.

For those of you who have been using the 14RES from Kohler, do they reduce the warranty period for Off-Grid installations?

-Luke

NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional™: Certification #031409-25
NABCEP Certified Solar Heating Installer™: Certification #ST032611-03

Solar Gain Services, LLC
PO Box 531
Monte Vista, CO. 81144
SGSRenewables at Gmail.com