[RE-wrenches] AFCI trip on metal roof

Kirk Herander vtsolar at icloud.com
Fri Mar 25 09:48:39 PDT 2016

Drake,

I am in the middle of debugging a AFCI error on a SMA 5000US-12 inverter.
Installed by others. The fault does NOT have to be on the DC side. The
inverter checks both AC and DC circuits for faults. There are more specific
fault messages related to DC arc faults then just "AFCI", BUT a DC fault can
still only trigger the AFCI message. All this is according to SMA. Check the
wiring on the AC side also. If all is good, do some of the common sense
things, which you may have done already.

If multiple strings are into the inverter, disconnect completely all but one
at time and see if any one string faults exclusively. I literally saw
several loose MC connectors "blow up" when I was debugging string-by-string
and the inverter started to pull current. Why they didn't when paralleled at
the combiner I don't know.

It can be very difficult to pin down. I agree with others to also check any
field-crimped plug-and-play connectors for continuity. Despite all the
issues I repaired in my case, the error still exists, and SMA has agreed to
send a replacement.

Kirk Herander

Owner|Principal, VT Solar, LLC

Celebrating our 25th Anniversary 1991-2016

www.vermontsolarnow.com

dba Vermont Solar Engineering

NABCEPTM  2003 Inaugural Certificant

VT RE Incentive Program Partner